Vision test for a driver’s license
Good vision is particularly important for road safety. Therefore, a vision test is mandatory for all driver’s license candidates.
As an officially-recognized exam center, we perform these eye exams independently*. A special device is used for measuring visual acuity.
By presenting a valid form of identification (ID card, passport) driver’s license candidates can take vision tests for the following driver’s license categories: A1, B, BE, M, L and T.
*It is necessary to see an Ophthalmologist for license categories C, C1, C1E, D, DE, D1, and D1E.
When you take your vision test for a driver’s license with us, please have the following in mind:
- You can take the test without prior notice.
- The vision test for a driver’s license takes around 5 minutes.
- Please make sure to bring your glasses or corrective lenses.
- We need your passport or ID Card.
- We certify that we carry out the driver’s vision test.
- We note the measured visual performance.
- We charge a fee of € 6,50 for the vision test.
As required by law, passing the vision test can be achieved with a visual acuity score of at least 70%. If you achieve less than 70% visual acuity, then a medical specialist has to decide the outcome. If you need glasses or contact lenses to achieve the prescribed visual performance of at least 70%, then a note will be placed on your driver’s license declaring that you must use glasses or contact lenses while driving.
Details on the driver’s license class categories:
- Class A: Motorcycles without performance restrictions, direct entry possible starting at age 25; authorization for operating motorcycles with power restriction in the first two years up to 2 kW, not to exceed 0,16 kW per kilo of curb weight.
- Class A1: Motorcycles up to 125 cm3, up to 11 kW; for 16 to 17 years top speed related to the design of 80 km/hour
- Class B: vehicles of up to 3,5 tons with a trailer weighing up to 750 kg, or with a trailer weighing more than 750 kg, provided that the total permitted weight of the trailer does not exceed the curb weight of the towing vehicle, and the total permitted combined weight does not exceed 3,5 tons.
- Class BE: combination of a Class B towing vehicle and a trailer that does not fall into class B.
- Class C: vehicles weighing more than 3,5 tons with trailers up to 750 kg
- Class CE: vehicles weighing more than 3,5 tons with trailers weighing more than 750 kg
- Class C1: vehicles weighing between 3,5 and 7,5 tons, up to 7,5 tons with a trailer weighing up to 750 kg
- Class C1E: Class C1 vehicles with a trailer weighing more than 750 kg, provided that the total weight of the trailer is not greater than the curb weight of the towing vehicle, and the total combined weight does not exceed 12 tons;
- Class D: bus with more than 8 passenger seats and trailers up to 750 kg; Class DE: Class D vehicles with trailers weighing more than 750 kg;
- Class D1: bus with more than 8 and maximum 16 passenger seats and trailers weighing up to 750 kg;
- Class D1E: Class D1 vehicles with trailers weighing more than 750 kg; provided that the total authorized trailer weight does not exceed the curb weight of the towing vehicle, and the combined weight does not exceed 12 tons;
- Class L: Self-propelling machines and forklifts up to 25 km/hour; agricultural and forestry tractors up to 32 km/hour, with trailers up to 25 km/hour;
- Class M: mopeds and bicycles with auxiliary engines up to 50 cm3 /45 km/hour;
- Class T: agricultural and forestry tractors up to 60 km/hour, also with trailers.